Leura Child Care Centre & Preschool’s philosophy
Children are born ready to learn. They cultivate 85 percent of their intellect, personality and skills by age five. The first months and years of life set the stage for lifelong development (National Research Council and Institute of Medicine, 2000). So choosing the right early learning and care environment is among the most important decisions you will make for your child.
You’ve likely heard the saying, “It takes a village to raise a child”. Well, we’re a proud part of your “village.” We see our role as a community service to help support families by caring for and educating children.
- Your child will grow and develop in a nurturing, joyful and calm environment, where relationships are warm and inclusive. Healthy and happy relationships are foundational for children’s growth, so all interactions are treated with great care and respect.
- As a parent, you are respected and highly regarded as a child’s primary caregiver and educator. So we work in an open and honest partnership with you to support your child’s development.
- Your child is always treated equally. All children, families and staff – regardless of culture, race, gender or social status – are supported. Multiculturalism and local community culture are celebrated and integrated into your child’s program to maximise meaningful learning and belonging.
- To ensure your child receives high quality early childhood education, we understand and proudly adhere to the National Quality Standards of our professional governing bodies and the Early Years Framework for Australia.
- Your child is smart, creative and capable of learning from diverse experiences. So we set high expectations and respect your child’s innate intelligence and encourage them to acquire the confidence needed for life success.
- Your child learns in a fun, play-based environment where discoveries are made through exploration, engagement and curiosity. Our program is planned around both your child’s interests, and planned teaching.
- Our learning environment is kept uncluttered, organised, always changing and exciting. This keeps children’s learning alive and vibrant. This also enables children to think more clearly and focus for longer periods of time.
- Your child’s learning expands through the rich literacy and numeracy embedded in our curriculum. Your child’s learning outcomes improve when educators have deep curriculum knowledge which plans to improve early literacy and numeracy.
- Your child’s learning and overall development is documented and shared with you regularly. This ensures the curriculum always meets their individual needs. Regular reporting also leads to stronger relationships and increases parent/educator collaboration.
- Your child benefits from a highly qualified teaching staff and appropriate child/educator ratios that are maintained at all times. Your child’s safety is paramount! Our team also receives ongoing professional training, self-reflection and collaboration opportunities.
- Your child will benefit from spending significant time outdoors in natural environments. Nature is alive and ever changing and it enhances your child’s wellbeing, belonging and creativity.
- Your child is encouraged to become environmentally responsible. Daily sustainable living practices are part of our curriculum. They teach your child their ethical obligation to protect and care for our shared environment.
- Just like you, your child needs good physical health for proper learning and development. Healthy eating, physical activity, appropriate rest and sleep, good role modelling, adequate supervision, and safety are all paramount in our curriculum.